Hawaii Home Gardens Book
This book includes all the basics you need to know to grow healthy vegetables.
Hawai‘i has more than 140 soil types, 10 microclimates, and year round growing conditions, providing the opportunity to harvest a diversity of fresh food year round. This book provides insight into design, implementation, and care, focusing on the challenges of growing food in this unique climate, including:
- Holistic design for subtropical climates
- Strategies for getting started and choosing which plants to grow
- Composting, cover crops, and fertilization
- Propagation and planting
- Irrigation and water conservation
- Seed saving to create locally-adapted varieties
- Preventing pests, diseases, and weeds
Implementing the strategies shared in Hawai‘i Home Gardens will save you time and money. This valuable resource will also inspire you to get out and grow! It will build confidence in home gardeners, both new and experienced, as well as landscape professionals, and beginning farmers.
Authors Evan Ryan and Lehua Vander Velde have over 30 years combined experience growing food in Hawai‘i.